Specializing in children's, family, engagements, &
high school senior portraits.

If you're interested in booking a session please
contact:
jen@jenrinaldiphotography.com

Website: http://jenrinaldiphotography.com/

For Portrait Session Pricing Click *HERE*

For Session Dates Available Click *HERE*

Friday, November 30, 2007

Backdrops - Make Your Own!

I think I will be heading out tonight to buy some fabric for use as backdrops.

Definitely black but I may also get a white one...I'll have to see what they have when I go. I also have to figure out what kind of fabric will work for photography...can't be too shiny or to sheer...ugh, I hope this doesn't turn out to be a nightmare in choosing. :)

I found this site that talks about what you can buy (fabric-wise) and I printed this to take with me: http://www.betterphoto.com/exploring/MakingBackDrops.asp

I also found this DIY site that talks about making your own colored backdrop:

Cheap DIY (Homemade) Muslin Photography Background

Spice up your home made muslin backdrop

Tomorrow I'm photographing my friend's newborn baby. This will be my first time photographing a baby so this is all good experience. She wants to use one for the family's Christmas card which is so nice. That will be 2 Christmas cards with my photos this year. I love that! :)

I'll be sure to share some once I edit them!

------Update------

I just got back from JoAnn Fabrics store and I picked 4.33 yards of black Muslin. It was 7.99 a yard (AAACK!) I bet I could have found it much cheaper elsewhere but I didn't care because I needed something for tomorrow.

I got it 108 inches wide because that was the largest width they had in black. Now, I have no experience at all with this kind of thing so I couldn't even tell you if this fabric will work. I hope it's not too thin or two wrinklely...well the wrinkle problem can be handled with an iron (yuck...ironing...uuughhh)but the too thin will be very bad.

I know nothing about lighting but I hope that the flash and some room lights will work (I pray). But, this is all experimental so I'm not worried. :)

EDIT: Oh! I just got a link to this great DIY backdrop hanger. I think a trip to IKEA might be in order: http://yellowfence.blogspot.com/2007/06/cool-photo-backdrop.html


My great friend Julie has shared some wonderful photographers to look at examples of their work for tons of great ideas. THANKS JULIE!

FOOTPRINTS PHOTOGRAPHY

JAMIE HAMMOND PHOTOGRAPHY


EDITED 3/31/08 - MORE BACKDROP INFORMATION:

See this post for more information on backdrops I obtained "cheap" and info. on backdrop stands:

http://jenweaverphotography.blogspot.com/2008/03/make-your-own-photography-backdrop-with.html

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are doing a great job of sharing hyperlinks to some GREAT photography resources! Thanks for sharing.

Good luck on your session tomorrow. I hope everything works out the way you would like it to. And, I look forward to viewing the results of your work.

Sue

All images on this website © Jen Rinaldi Photography. All Rights Reserved. Images may not be copied or reproduced without written consent from Jen Rinaldi Photography.